About Me

I love to keep things fresh. Boredom makes me cringe. I believe in perseverance. Anything new and different inspires me. Photos and stories contained on this blog are my own. I create the majority of my recipes featured as well. If I adapt a recipe or find a great one to share from another source, I will give credit where it is due and a link to the original if at all possible. Please ask prior to using photos, writings and recipes and if using, please link to to the original source. Peace and Happy Blogging!

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

The Perfect Oatmeal: Apple Raisin Walnut Cinnamon Maple

I'm obviously posting this a little late.  Today is Wednesday, not Sunday; however, I still want to get this on here.  So here I go...

It's a beautiful Sunday morning.  A "10" on the scale of 1-10 in the world of Perfect Weather days, and this is a very welcomed thing.  This year, as with every year, certain flowers are really thriving, moreso than others.  I am no botanist, so I assume this is due to weather patterns leading up to the bloom.  On the other hand, there is also the side of me that believes there are spiritual reasons behind this as well.  The science and spiritual sides of life go hand in hand and make each other possible.  One cannot work without the other.

I lost my Dad this year, and of course there are so many things that remind me of him, everywhere I look, every day.  He had the most unbelievable green thumb, in addition to many other extraordinary talents and gifts.  Plants loved him, and he loved plants.  Today, it is the spiritual side that I'm tuned into.


Dad did some work in my yard a few years ago just to be kind.  I always marvelled at the fact that everything that he planted in my yard is still alive and thriving, while most that I have planted have run their course sooner or later and have been replaced.  I am grateful for the beautiful plants that I was left with and this year, they are more beautiful than ever.  Not only do the Sago Palms and Walking Irises seem healthier and more beautiful than ever, but it seems that some of the plants that I saved in the past, refusing to toss out due to what I'll call "lack of performance", are green as ever and even flowering.  My amaryllis bulb, for example, has never flowered, not even once in 6 years.  I have moved it numerous times, to numerous locations and this year, for the first time, it is so healthy and even bloomed something spectacular.  There are four fabulous red flowers shooting out of the bulb and I am absolutely amazed.

Whatever the reasons for the unexpected beauty, which I sum up to a combination of factors both scientific and spiritual, when I look in my courtyard lately I am thankful for the fond memories of my Dad.  I'm also still waiting for a bit of the inherited "green-thumb" to surface in me.  Surely it's in there somewhere.  Maybe in that Amaryllis that finally bloomed!  Thanks Dad, love you.


The Recipe:

Today I cooked what I consider to be The Perfect Oatmeal.  It has diced Granny Smith Apples, Raisins, Walnuts, Cinnamon and Maple Syrup.  How can you possibly go wrong with that?  You can't.


The Perfect Oatmeal: Apple, Raisin, Walnut, Cinnamon and Maple Syrup
Click Here for the Printable Recipe

Serves 2
Ingredients:
1 Cup Extra Thick Rolled Oats (I used Bob's Red Mill Organic)
2 Cups Water
1/4 tsp Salt
1 Granny Smith Apple, skin on and diced to approximately 1/2" cubes (I leave skin on when using Organic)
1/2 Cup Raisins
1/2 Cup Walnuts
1 Tsp Ground Cinnamon
Maple Syrup to taste
Cream, Soy Milk, or any other kind of milk is Optional

Method:
1)  Bring 2 cups of water and 1/4 tsp salt to a boil and add rolled Oats.  Give it a stir and reduce heat to simmer.


2)  Allow to cook for 5 minutes and add the apples.  Give it another stir and cover with a lid.  Cook an additional 2-5 minutes, depending upon the consistency that you prefer your oatmeal and apples.


Here's how I diced the apples.  It's probably obvious that I didn't go to culinary school, but hey, it works.

 











3)  Stir in Raisins and Ground Cinnamon.
4) Serve and top with Walnuts, Maple Syrup and/or a touch of Cream, Soy Milk, or regular milk.  I personally prefer mine without any milk.


It's DELICIOUS and as my niece Gabby says, "Mmmm, it looks healthy" with her sweet little voice.  I love that little girl!










2 comments:

Mr Martin said...

Glad to see you are posting again! I like the artical about dad; I see him in all things creative and "energized".

The recipe looks good! I wonder if it is reheatable. We are looking for on the run snacks for the morning when time is scarce.

I get the one from Mc D's but it feels like sugar overload.

I hope everything is going well in Laf today, surely our thoughts are with the Broussards today.

Love,
Tuna Spike

Lisa Avant said...

Tuna Spike!!! Yes, it's reheatable. When reheating, add a touch of water to thin a bit. Once you get it nice and hot, you can add the milk, if desired, after the fact. If you add it while cooking, it curdles. Sorry it has taken soooo long to respond. I'm slacking on the blog, but love it and still come to it to look up my own recipes. I wish I had more on here. Amazing how I use it myself so that I don't have to remember what I created. Love you! Lisa.

Post a Comment

I would love to know what you are thinking!